Finding molds on your roof or under the shingles can be quite alarming. The best way to
respond to this is to get a thorough mold inspection in the attic to determine fully the condition of
Molds are not harmful to the roof but it will definitely make the roof look bad. Typically, a moldy
roof consists of algae, moss and mold.
Algae may look slimy green, black or in blue-green streaks. Mosses are tiny plants that grow in
dense vibrant green mats that can cover your roof. Roof molds are typically from inside the attic.
Mold growth is often due to the presence of roof leaks.
There are several ways to clean your roof from moss, algae and mold. Use these tips as your
guide when cleaning your roof.
1. Cleaning your roof can be risky. You have to go on top of it. Make sure to secure
yourself in a harness. Most people will get help from a roof repair company for better
2. Pressure washers may be easier to use in cleaning your roof but it can damage the
shingles. Use a hose attached with a nozzle instead.
3. You may spray wash the roof with 1 part water and 1 part bleach to clean off the algae.
Let is sit for around 60 minutes before rinsing.
4. If you find bleach and water solution weak for your moldy roof, you may use trisodium
phosphate. Mix a cup of it for every gallon of water.
5. There are other commercially available cleaning solutions in the market. Take note
however of the labels and make sure you’re using the right product for your roof.
Some homeowners are considering roof waterproofing in order to prevent moisture and mold
growth. While it’s good to initiate for your roof’s maintenance, getting help from an exceptional
roofing company is still your best option.