Managing the household can really be a handful. But as responsible homeowners, we should see to it that every maintenance task for every part of the household should be well taken care of.
Keeping a checklist can simplify everything. It also ensures that you do not overlook areas which need to be inspected. To help you out, we have compiled here the things to do in maintaining a healthy roof.
- Secure the records of all roof maintenance, replacement and all other information pertaining to your roof. This will surely become handy if you want to get the overall state of your roof.
- Examine first the interior of your house for any signs of leaking and water damage. Here are some things you can watch out for:
- Water Stains
- Paint Bubbles/ Blisters
You may also want to check the structure of your home if there are any cracks, rust or rot.
- Make sure the roof is clear from dirt and debris. It may not look harmful but accumulated dirt and debris can clog the gutters and cause the roof to gradually deteriorate.
- Inspect the surface of your roof. Check for any signs of damage and take note of these. For metal roofs, look for any visible signs of corrosion. For shingle roofs, watch out for loose or missing pieces. Make sure that your roof’s surface is free from fungus or moss as these causes it to deteriorate as well.
- Check the condition of the previous repairs as these are the areas which are first expected to fail, especially if they were not handled by professional roofers.
- Make sure that your pipe and equipment supports are in perfect condition. There should be no sagging, cracks and the supports shouldn’t be digging into your roof.
Your checklist can vary depending on your roof’s condition. Every roof is unique. You’re free develop your own list that fits the type of roof you have and its current state.