If your house roof is already 10 years or more and it has a leak, you would probably wonder if it is good to repair the leak or if it is better to buy a brand new roof. There are various factors that need to be considered if you decide on buying a new set of roof for your house. Also, there are more variations and types of roofing materials available in the market to choose from. It may be overwhelming but then competition brings out the best price and best quality in the market.
The first thing to do if you decide on having a brand new roof is to get an experienced roof installer and get an accurate cost estimate. However, you need to be ready to respond to the following questions that he may ask you: the kind of access of your roof; the number of underlayment sheets beneath the tiles or shingles; and if the old roofing materials are easy to lower down to reach the ground. You would also be probably asked if there are electrical wires that they need to be careful of; if the roof is above 15 ft. high; the condition of the roof; and if there are rotten joists under the tiles or shingles.
When considering changing your roofing material and replacing it with materials for flat or pitched roofs, the following are a few of the things that you need to consider:
- Flat roofs are typically easier to repair or replace compared to pitched roofs. Arizona houses both have flat and pitched areas.
- Foam roofs are increasingly popular due to its capability to provide the best protection as well as the ability to produce no seams or joints that can create leaks. However, be careful of birds that peck holes on the foam as this will lead to water damage.
- Built-up flat roofs are less expensive and composed of rolled asphalt that sticks to the roof due to the heat applied on it. When covered with elastomeric, it can be replaced within 20 years.
- PVC roof is longer lasting compared to foam roofs and come in various light colors.
- The shape of pitched roofs that are covered either with concrete or clay tile is difficult to determine. There is a need to inspect the valleys on the roof and even if these tiles can last as long as 25 years, the underlayment needs to be replaced often.
However you want your roof done, make sure you get the service of professional roof installers so that they are properly done.